Tuesday, June 5, 2012

June Update

This is just a quick  update for those still following this. I've been quite busy and almost forgot about this blog. If you're researching LASIK, I suggest you go through the archives and read it.

Here is a fairly recent study between VISX and Wavelight. There is also an ongoing Stanford study between the two technologies. I'm starting to think that other than HOA, there is really no significant differences between the two of them. If you are clearly in the camp that believe the two technologies are equal, then Dr. Bindi's iFS150 and the Allegretto Wave are clearly the two best combined technologies. Bear in mind that the VISX S4 IR has the largest market share and the longest used laser in the United States. The Allegretto Wave, due to it requiring only a 1 phase (no wavescan check up) is clearly gaining ground. I believe it is the most popular in Europe and around the world. Dr. Bindi and Hyver both switched to the Allegretto Wave. It's no surprise because the less time spent between patients means more eye balls can go through the machines which means more profits. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but the 1 phase pre-check up with one less machine may eventually win out. VISX used to dominate the market but now I see all these new Laser Centers popping up and they go with Allegretto first as it's a more economical model than the VISX.

The wife is really happy with her results so far. I'm not. She doesn't want to redo her eyes even if she doesn't hit 20/20 because she's "happy with it." For the money she spent, I'm going to make sure she goes back if her vision isn't perfect (or as perfect as the guarantee contract states which is 20/20). She's going to get another check up in July to see if there are any issues delaying her healing.

This is one of the reasons why you want to get your eyes done locally. Most people get great results the first time, but just in case you fall within the 5-10% where complications occur, you want your doctor local and have a guarantee that it gets fixed. However, if you're interested in saving money, I know for a  fact that you can get the Allegretto Wave laser in Los Angeles for half the price of the doctors up here in the Bay Area. For some people $2500 is a lot of money and my advice can be thrown right out the window. Just be careful. The doctors here will reject you if your eyes are not ready. I'm not too sure about those other guys. Educate yourself before you make the commitment!

By the way, if you have questions, post it in the blog. If I no one is reading this, I may not continue to update it. Let me know if you guys are still reading this.

References:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198407/
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01454843

6 comments:

  1. I'm still reading and would love to hear updates as your wife goes through the first year of the healing process. I scheduled my appt with Dr. Furlong (who my Optometrist suggested) for Aug - super excited for the procedure but totally bummed the Health Savings account was cut in half this year though. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liv,

      Check again. The limit should still be 5K for 2012. It is capped in 2013 at 2500.

      Delete
  2. Well my company runs on a weird calendar that starts Aug 1 of the current year and ends Jul 31 the following year. I don't currently have a health savings account so I have to wait till the annual enrollment period to sign up. When I sign up, it's for a plan that's considered FY13 even though I technically signed up in 2012. But I'll check again during the enrollment period to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a bummer. I am going to write a post about combining two year's worth of FSA account for LASIK. However, with your company's odd enrollment date, that won't work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KD, thanks for the ongoing blog. I am seeing more evidence that one gains back his far vision and the expense of short distance (reading) vision. I have a coworker that just had the lasik surgery about 3 months ago. His vision was pretty bad prior to the surgery but he could read without his glasses up close really well. Post correction, he is now very happy with seeing the wall on the clock and things at distance but tells me that the food on his dinner plate is no longer clear. Reading or computer work is pretty much impossible for him.

    I currently wear contacts to correct -3.75 in one eye and -4.0 in another and have no problem reading small print. Making out my finger print pattern is about as fine as i can see with my contacts. With no contacts I can see even better close up. My big worry is close up vision getting worse than i have now with contacts. What do you think?

    I am under pressure to do the surgery this year because I signed up for 5K FSA for this year prior to doing the proper homework on the procedure. If i don't do the surgery, i lose the money :(.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Compuatic,
    I've wrote a post regarding your question.

    ReplyDelete